Sunday, September 23, 2012

20 Reasons Why Marriage is Better than Being Single

Now that I am on the other side--I've joined the marriage club, I have my own thoughts about marriage and don't have to rely on others' views. Being married for about a little over three months now, I wanted to post my thoughts about marriage. It is not as bad as some people made it out to sound, but I guess it depends on the persons in the marriage right. I would have scary marriage dreams, I was even anti-marriage sometimes until of course I met the only one for me and couldn't resist marriage. To me, married life is so much better than single life for a list of reasons:

1. I always have someone who really cares
When I am feeling bad, when I have a story to tell, when I am really excited about something, Cameron is never more than a phone call away. And he truely cares, always.
2. I am never alone.
When I come home from a long day, I know Cameorn will be there and when I get ready for bed, I do it with my partner in life. Some people may not like having someone around all the time, but I love it. I grew up that way and it feels like home to have someone to get ready for bed with and wake up with.
3. I don't have to make meals for one.
At college this was just really lonely and it is so much better to make a meal for two. Cameron and I usually do this together and it is our time in a busy day to be together.
4. I don't have to worry so much.
When I was single I worried if I wsa going to have to settle for marraige, never get married, or not like marriage. Now that I did find the one I was looking for, I don't have to worry about that department in life.
5. My home is his home.
When Cameron and I were dating we had to coordinate who was going over to whose house and then I would have to bring all my stuff in bags over there and leave a 9pm and then drive home and get ready for bed all alone, awaiting his goodnight phone call :). Now, its easier because his home is my home.
6. Family wards
I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to the family wards after 5 years of singles wards, but absolutely not. I love love my ward and I love being a part of my own family and seeing other families. It's actually like real life. Singles ward isn't a real ward to me. And I love being able to have my calling of teaching 12 and 13 year olds! Good riddens to singles wards thank goodness.
7. Better friends
I never really had good singles ward friends in the Fort Worth singles ward (besides Jeanessa but hey she's family anyway!). I have the best friends now because they are not bitter, we all have our spouses, and for the most part have life figured out and know where our lives are going. Luckily Heavenly Father sent some great people to be here in our ward. Lilian Winters is my little buddy. Both our husbands are in med school, we all went to BYU and have similar personalities.
8. A helping hand
When I am running behind, he helps me get ready; when I need an editor, he reads my essays; two heads are better than one
9. No more being the 3rd or 5th wheel!
I had my share of that in single life. And now, I have my partner to snuggle with.
10. Home nesting
It is fun to decorate, bake, cook, and even sew. I sewed a reversible halloween/ thanksgiving table runner and am working on an apron.
11. Planning for the future.
It is so fun to plan for our future and talk about our kids and future home.
12. Teaching others
Now that I am married, I can teach the youth in my calling and tell them how important it is to get married in the temple!
13. Spiritual Progression
I feel that I can finally progress to a higher level spiritually because I am not worrying about dating and finding the right one. I can reach out to others now that I am at peace inside!
14. Better relationship with parents
Now, we hang out with my parents on double dates and I have more in common because I am married too. Its fun to see how happy they are for me.
15. He calms me down.
One night I was worried because I went to empty my bladder but nothing came out (I'm weird about this at night) and I was worried. I said, I feel like there's still water in me. He said, its probably just not to your bladder yet. Then I was like, O ok, and all was good and I could fall asleep. He reassures me when I worry too much about the small stuff.
16. Study buddy.
I talk my studies out with him to make sure I know what I'm talking about, and I ask him questions all the time and he can explain it to me real well.
17. Hugs everyday, kisses every day.
Hugging is great and relieves stress. And kissing is an expression of love. We do this everyday and I love how he looks into my eyes and loves me.
18. His family is my family
Cameron's family is so great and I love to ask him questions about his family. Last night we talked about his grandparents and its interesting to me that two families and two worlds come together in marriage. And marriage is what makes life go on...two people fall in love and have children and the cycle repeats.
19. I don't feel like a wondering snow flake. An analogy came to me last night about how singlehood is like a single snow flake, coming from a cloud and wondering in the wind until it finally lands in a blanket of snow and joins up with more snow. We leave families to be off on our own, wondering around trying to find our own spouse and make our own family until one day we finally land and join with another human being and join the lineage of families and make our own bundle and continue the cycle on.
20. Cameron is the one I can share everything with and he does not judge me; he knows me and brings out the best in me. He helps me reach my potential and he tells me I am an example to him, so it goes both ways. Waiting for the right one is the greatest feeling in the world and the best thing I ever did. I don't know why anyone would enter into marriage with just anybody.

 When I was about to get married I didn't know what to expect becasue people say things like, "the ol' ball and chain" and "no more freedom" and things like that. But then I knew marriage was a good thing, so there were mixed messages. People need to not make sarcastic remarks like that because then it makes single people think twice and that's not right. Marriage is much better than single life and now that I'm on the other side that is what I tell single people because I was single and elligible for marriage for 5 whole single years with no boyfriend and wondered how married life was. I know the curiosity and skepticism that some singles may have. Marriage being better than single life does not mean there are no more stuggles once you get married because that wouldn't be real life; but the point is, you always have someone by your side through your trials.  Your lows aren't as low and your highs are higher.
I love married life and am glad I had my single years to compare to. And thank you Cameron for being the one for me. I know I am lucky to have him as a husband.

 

4 comments:

  1. I love my wife! She is my best fried and one true love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun Blog!! we love the pictures! You are such a fantastic writer and it will be fun to follow all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for married life! Marriage is a wonderful journey if you are married to the right one and continually nurture your relationship. Selfishness and negativity can destroy even the happiest people. You and Cam can have a successful and happy marriage if you always remember these 20 points you have just recorded.

    I wish we lived closer to you guys. Ohio is s great place to raise a family *hint* *hint*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails